Second grade builds on the skills students have learned in first grade, following the Washington state and Common Core standards. Curriculum covered in second grade includes:
- Wired for Reading – an approach to literacy that focuses on linguistics and brain research to teach reading, writing and spelling.
- Literacy circles
- Independent reading at each student’s appropriate level
- Handwriting Without Tears
- Writer’s workshop
- Journal writing at home and school
- Math taught through the Math Connects curriculum and supplementary materials
- Social Studies using an inquiry approach to learn about the responsibilities and ideals of community
- Science taught through weekly visits to the SHA Science Lab.
Second grade, Kitah Bet, is year two of the TaL Am program. Through Hebrew immersion, students learn the weekly Torah portion in a child-friendly way and continue to learn about Jewish holidays and tradition. Students are introduced to Dikduk, Hebrew grammar. Second grade Chumash study is centered on the parashiot of Noach and Lech Lecha. At the end of the year, second graders celebrate the completion of the parashiot with our Tevah Tea ad Chagigat Chumash.